configure

Am I doing something wrong?  I checked out a fresh copy of guile-core
from cvs this morning, and there's no configure file.  I'm all set to
hack at the docstrings etc, but I'd really like to be able to compile
yet I feel a strong aversion, don't ask me why, to debugging the build
process.   Can somebody offer a quick fix?

-gregg