Re: Translators/parsing Python

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> wrote:
>Hmm no. I disagree. I don't think we should touch the pyc
>marshalled files at all. Instead, get the code that does the
>marshalling retargeted to generate Scheme.

That would be the better solution.  I only proposed looking at the pyc
files because that could produce quick results -- you don't have to look
into or understand the Python source, only the pyc format.  Because
someone here already brought this idea up, it seems like the knowledge
to do this exists.  That's not a long term solution, but short-term
results are important.  They make programming more fun :)  And maybe
more than one person could work in parallel, one person isolating Python
code, one working on the Scheme side.

Anyway, I think the goals should remain fairly short-term, because
long-term goals won't take into account all the stuff you learn as you
go along.

Writing a pyc interpreter -- which was brought up -- probably doesn't
make too much sense.  Just because, once you have the pyc read it isn't
*that* much harder to do a translation.  That was really the target of
my comment.

  -- Ian