Re: Philosophy and object systems (was Re: goops/guile doc)

Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com> writes:

> Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
>
> > Hmm no, it has to do with the original concept of classes
> > ``knowing how to perform operations themselves''. Has to do
> > more with philosophy and terminology than technical matters.
> > It's what I mean when I say ``tell the image to render on this
> > surface'' rather than ``render this image on this surface''.
>
> You might wanna check out:
>
> http://www.cyberdyne-object-sys.com/oofaq/oo-faq-S-1.19.html#S-1.19

This is an awful explanation and quite false, for example:

"Lack of encapsulation implies all arguments can be accessed by a
multi-method (although packages can be used to restrict access, as in
CLOS)."

The second part of the sentence is wrong.  Once you have a reference
to an object, you can change its internals.  The package system
can't help you in this case.

> implement a message passing style, but are not strictly limited to
> dispatching on one argument.

This are two pair of shoes:  new string()and new string("bla")
call two different constructors.

> ObjC

Apples WO!? :)

> Fuckin'A man, "Entity Beans".

Hihi.  Better than "BluePlastic in a box" with an entry price above
60.000 DM, isn't it?

Jost