Re: GC and continuations

On 21 Feb 2000, Jim Blandy wrote:

> [...]

[detailed emacs memory usage description here...]

>But: enough reminiscence.  I'm pretty sure Guile just uses malloc and
>free; if they never return memory to the kernel, then Guile won't.

I haven't looked into how guile manages memory, but here is what I did:

First I run one guile process with call/cc's I described earlier. When it's
size was about 35M I stopped it and run another guile process to do the same
thing. After some time of second guile's memory grabbing size of first guile
process started to shrink.

So, my conclusion is: this is all matter of kernel memory management. There is
no porblem with guile's GC.

I'm sorry to cause such a noise instead of doing a bit more research first
(and I hope I came to right decision after all).

--
jonis

There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom.
		-- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923