This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Guile project.
Re: About modules
- To: Michael Livshin <mlivshin at bigfoot dot com>
- Subject: Re: About modules
- From: Klaus Schilling <Klaus dot Schilling at munich dot netsurf dot de>
- Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:33:42 +0100 (CET)
- Cc: Marius Vollmer <mvo at zagadka dot ping dot de>, Greg Troxel <gdt at fnord dot ir dot bbn dot com>, guile at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com>
- Reply-To: Klaus dot Schilling at munich dot netsurf dot de
Michael Livshin writes:
> Marius Vollmer <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > we shouldn't need to talk about the concept of
> > instantiable and parameterizable `units' that MzScheme has. In my
> > view, the issues addressed by units can be solved nicely with a
> > combination of GOOPS and name spaces. In effect, units have some of
> > the characteristics of an object system, but we already have something
> > better (GOOPS) which can be used instead.
> yes, yes, and yes (oh, and yes). echoes my thoughts, except you are
> so much more coherent...
> one thing I'd like to propose: what about getting the environments and
> GOOPS into the core Guile? like, now. like, in a branch or
> something. it'll make the thinking/experimentation/playing vastly
> easier for many people.
Environments are absolutely needed to provide a powerful and flexible
namespace management, making it possible to write special-purpose
module systems for individual applications.