Re: Goops and the module system

Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com> writes:

> present CLOS application I am working on several supporting libaries
> as well as the framework that uses them.

Is it possible for you to grep all places in which the framework
*destructively* overrides a method solely specialized library classes?

> Sometimes I like to override definitions, adding some format calls,
> or maybe recompile the function with some breakpoints installed, or
> simply find a mistake or a better way to do it.  Often these changes
> never make it to the source file, only appearing in my buffer and in
> the running image

Okay, but why is it necessary to change the class definition "in place"?
Can't you just make a virtual copy (inherit from the system class)
and change your copy?

[modifying modules]
> Redefining at runtime is critical IMO to the lisp (scheme included)
> development process.

External overrides have nothing to do with the module issue.

If you allow users to change classes (instead of adjusting the
inherited classes), you'll end up with a system like WinNT: Whenever I
install a certain telecom application, I screw up Winword because it
replaces functions and global variables in a library which Winword
needs.

Jost