Re: Emacs with Guile

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> Well, I started Kawa because I was fed up with Guile.  That was
> primarily because of political and personality issues that are no
> longer the problem they were, and have not been for a long time.
> Still, I do think the technical design of Kawa is much stronger than
> Guile.

Guile and Kawa are birds different enough for there to be a reason for
both to exist.  In fact, we might even be able to use common designs
in some areas.  At any rate, if some API:s could be similar, this is a
strength.

Also, I was not trying to imply that JEmacs is a useless project.  I'm
just lamenting over the general splitting of efforts concerning Guile
and Emacs.  We could have had a Guile Emacs by now...

Regarding Guile, I think it is improving.  There are a lot of people,
like Shriram Krishnamurthi, who are complaining without actually
knowing the state of art regarding Guile.  We are progressively
attacking weak areas, and will, after some urgent priorities like
manual and module system, commence a systematic revision of Guile's
interfaces.