Re: Signal Handling in Guile

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> writes:

> Before introducing threads support (Finaly, I've done copyright paper
> work!), I think that we need to change the signal handling design.
> It's not MT issue per se, but without changing this, it results many
> races, and/or dead locks.
>
> How about defining "fixed point" (or points) where it calls
> scm_async_click?  Possibly, it could be in scm_ceval or scm_gc.
>
> The design change is: handle signal synchronously.

to clarify: you want thread switches to happen at those "fixed points"
("safe points" in RScheme-speak) too, right?

this does sound reasonable, considering that Guile doesn't provide any
real-time guarantees anyway.

is your design somewhere online?  not that I'm one who decides
anything, but I'm very curious.

> This will become big changes, I know, but I believe that it's really
> needed for better Guile.

why would the changes be big?

--
I have seen the future, and it does not work.