Re: Emacs with Guile

Sam Falkner <Sam.Falkner@central.sun.com> writes:

> I too would push for supporting text-only access.  It's not so much
> that I'm on a Wyse terminal or something that doesn't have bitmapped
> graphics, but rather I'm frequently in situations where I have telnet
> (or tip or ssh withOUT X11-forwarding) and I want to use some flavor
> of emacs.

But how often are you in the situation of not having a Java-enabled
browser?  With that, you could use (say) VNC.

Again, I am not opposed to text-only access; I just see at as
fairly low on the priority list for JEmacs.  If JEmacs gets to
the point that it's a serious contender to Emacs/XEmacs as a
default editor for many people, then it may be time to re-visit
the issue.  Since the display (window, view) is separate from the
data (buffer, model) it is quite possible to add radically
diifferent display engines on top the Emacs buffer framework.

For example, Kawa has a built-in telnet server.  If you start Kawa in
server mode, and telnet in, you currently get connected to the
read-eval-print loop.  There is nothing to prevent Kawa from sending
ansi escape characters to display the current JEmacs buffer(s).
--
	--Per Bothner