Re: Emacs with Guile

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Designing a free program to use Swing sounds like a fundamental
> mistake, like using Motif or Qt was in the past.

It is a concern.  But I really do think we need a free version
of a Swing subset, and if nobody else does it, I may do it myself.
Either that, or do some JEmacs re-writing, perhaps using a Java
wrapper around Gtk.

Only a small part of JEmacs depends on the GUI toolkit. Rather
more depends on the buffer-gap implementation that JEmacs uses
for the actual buffer "content" - but I've already re-written
that (because the standard Swing version isn't quite right for Emacs.)

I agree this needs to be resolved before JEmacs can be included
in (say) a GNU/Linux software distribution, and before it is "beta".

> Also, if any GPL-covered code is included, this violates the GPL.

One might argue this might be covered by the "system" exception.

The only GPL-covered code (except that owned by me) would be ELisp
packages ported from Emacs.

In any case, we can hopefully agree that GNU should not oppose
GNU programs witten in Java, but rather should encourage free
Java implementations.  (Restricting AWT from being included in
the merged libgcj/classpath does unfortunately force some extra
duplication of work.)
--
	--Per Bothner