Re: includes in _scm.h

On 15 Mar 2000, Greg J. Badros wrote:

> I, too, believe it's worth avoiding.  Of course, for libguile.h, we
> should have all the files included so that there is a single include
> file for programs that want to use guile, but internally we should do
> better.  What is your precise proposal?

- remove all of the includes from _scm.h (maybe except __scm.h - however,
  someone who knows the conceptual differences between _scm.h and __scm.h
  should add a comment at the beginning of these files to clarify the
  differences.)
- add only those includes which are required to the corresponding .[ch]
  files.

If, for example, all includes except "__scm.h" are removed from _scm.h,
then alist.c needs to include the following header files:
  _scm.h boolean.h eq.h error.h gc.h gsubr.h list.h pairs.h snarf.h
  validate.h alist.h
while previously the following ones were also included
  print.h procs.h numbers.h symbols.h strings.h vectors.h root.h
  ports.h async.h
This slows down compilation of each single file and generates unnecessary
dependencies that fool 'make'.

If there are no objections I will try to provide patches to achieve the goal
described above.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann