Re: options to make?

>>>>> "Dirk" == Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

Dirk> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
>> I'm wondering how to pass _additional_ compile time options to make
>> without overriding existing ones.  Example:
>> make all CFLAGS="-DSCM_DEBUG_XXX=1 ..."
>> will override the settings for CFLAGS that are defined within the
>> makefile:
>> CFLAGS = -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes

Dirk> It seems that, currently, someone could use CPPFLAGS, since
Dirk> CPPFLAGS is defined to be empty by default.  However, isn't
Dirk> there some more general solution to this issue, like some
Dirk> variable that is explicitly defined for the purpose to give the
Dirk> user the possibility to add options at make time?

If you're using automake, then that variable is CFLAGS.  If you want
your package to add flags to the command line which aren't overridden
by CFLAGS, then you must use a different macro -- CFLAGS is a user
macro, and setting it like that is an error.  (The other macro is
"AM_CFLAGS")

Tom