Re: GC questions.

mlivshin@bigfoot.com writes:
> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:
>  this scares me.  if we improve the smob interface to work with any
> collector we could invent, we'll improve it to complete unusability.

I don't understand; in what way is proposal unusable?  If I understand
correctly, the current approach is that every assignment in a
smob-routine be done by a scm_assign macro. I don't consider that very
ergonomic.

> a better angle might be to standartize on some glue code generator
> and
> simply not bother with the naked smob interface.

Oh no! A code generator, how would it work? Does it parse C code? If
yes, how will you make sure that it also understands arcane C++
declarations?

> When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

amen.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys, hanwen@cs.uu.nl ** GNU LilyPond - The Music Typesetter
      http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/index.html