Re: interface reductions

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> > Again, coupling to the implementation detail that keywords are implemented
> > as symbols.
>
> As with fluids, let's keep it until we can provide equivalent
> functionality in a better API.

I just had a look at keywords.c.  In my view, everything dealing with
"dash-symbols" should be replaced.

E.g., instead of having

  make-keyword-from-dash-symbol

we should have

  symbol->keyword

which just takes the keyword name, as a symbol, as argument.

Now, what I'm saying is that, we *should* deprecate
`make-keyword-from-dash-symbol', but not until `symbol->keyword' has
been implemented.

BTW, three motivations for keeping keywords:

1. They are in the IEEE Scheme standard (I think!)

2. They are heavily used in GOOPS (and pretty convenient)

3. A lot of people like them because they are self-evaluating