Re: interface reductions

On 24 May 2000, Michael Livshin wrote:

> > And what does it mean that a keyword is self-evaluating?
>
> guile> #:b
> #:b
> guile> '#:b
> #:b

Aha.  So the great thing about keywords is that you spare a "'" for the
cost of "#:"   :-)  The way they steal one single quote is also strange:

guile> ''#:b
(quote #:b)

Maybe the good thing about keywords is, that you have a type distinct from
the symbol type with its own read syntax and still most of the properties
of symbols.  But, up to now I fail to see any additional benefit.  In a
similar way you could easily add a 'slot-name' type or an 'option-name'
type and so on, each for some special use.

Nevertheless, thanks for your explanations.  At least I got the point with
the self-evaluation :-)

Dirk