Re: Threads in Guile

Chris Cramer <crayc@kiwi.pyro.net> writes:

> IIRC it's just a replacement for select() that keeps one thread from
> blocking everyone with a select()/read()/write()/etc. I believe you can
> just toss it; pthreads doesn't need anything like it, and all the code
> that needs it is marked with #ifdefs.

We are now disconnecting libguile from the thread libraries, allowing
an application to choose whether to use threading or not, and which
thread library to use.

Guile is going to continue supporting cooperative thread libraries.

Therefore we still need to support the scm_internal_select call.

When using libguile together with pthreads, scm_internal_select will
invoke OS select.