Re: Scheme book recommendations

"Peter C. Norton" <spacey@lenin.nu> writes:

> Maybe I'd be better off spending my time translating the perl book's
> examples into guile scheme?  Then I'd know whether it has the
> practical features that seem to lead to active day-to-day use that
> perl has?  After all, I was using perl very shortly after I first
> started reading about it.  I've just found that over time perl has
> shortcomings that guile seems to address, like haphazard syntax,
> styling, growth, etc.

It may be that this kind of litterature is simply missing.  Yet, it is
true that it is exactly what Guile needs.

Is the perl examples available on the net?  Maybe you could organize
some kind of coordinated effort to translate them?  Maybe you could
post a list of the examples, and people could grab one of them and
provide a translation?

> So, where's the practical code to make guile a useable system out of the
> tarball?  After all, programming is learned by reading code, so there's
> gotta be simple code to read that teaches a lesson, that anyone can use and
> tweak on their home unix box right?  Right?

Right.