boehm & guile, success report.

Hi there.

Check out http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/software/guile-boehm;

It was actually very easy to do, replacing guile's GC only involves
deleting some of code :-) -- it doesn't track weak refernces, and I
wonder it does the correct thing wrt structs, but I succesfully booted
GUILE with it. I do think it is a major win if GUILE uses it:

  * generational GC

  * no more weird distinctions between stack and heap

  * no more effort to spend on GC: we can focus on other things.

usage: apply patch, unpack beohm collector inside the source
directory, compile, enjoy .

I couldn't get the benchmark package to work (can someone look at this
some time? I 'd like to run a benchmark by doing

     my_guile BENCHMARKDIR/benchmark.scm BENCHMARKDIR gc ports

having to edit files and fiddle with stuff is a major turnoff.)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@cs.uu.nl    | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/