Code compiling (marshalling?)

I was wondering if anyone has thought about a semi-compiled form for
Guile code, like Python does with .pyc files.  That is, something that
is faster to load than normal code, but contains all the information
(i.e., expresses Guile's internal representation of code).

I was wondering about this as it might be a significant performance
improvement for translators if the translated code could be written
into a file like this, and loaded in lieu of original source code if
possible.  I can come close by simply writing the code to a file, but
it wouldn't keep debugging information (file locations and such).
With some of the concerns about load time for Scheme code, this could
be generally beneficial as well.

  -- Ian