Re: CPS transformation and partial evaluation

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> [translating foreign languages into scheme]
>
> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:
>
> >  We have wonderful tools such as partial evaluators and cps.  For
> > example, it's not necessary to use tagbody forms or continuations to
> > handle jumps.
>
> Yeah.  Do you have references to good papers that discuss partial
> evaluators?

I believe you already got some good references from Ralf.

> All I've red about CPS is that although it is easy to do certain
> optimizations after CPS transformation it is possible and probably
> better to do the optimizations in the source language.  [I think
> I've seen comments from Matthias Felleisen about it, but I can't
> remember when and where].

That sounds plausible.  He and his students have been studying the
relationship between transformations made in the source language and
in CPS.  See for example

  http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sabry94is.html

However note that these discussions focus on how to do optimizations,
not on how to translate other languages into Scheme.

If you want to learn about CPS, I can recommend the book:

  A. Appel (1992) "Compiling With Continuations", Cambridge U Press