Re: Language translation proposal 1.4

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Michael Livshin <mlivshin@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
> > Ian Bicking <ianb@colorstudy.com> writes:
> >
> > > Should load also potentially take a :language argument?  Maybe this is
> > > getting to be too many ways...
> >
> > seems like a good idea to me, FWIW.

I would say hat the syntax understood by `read' is a reader option,
not an option to `load'.

More generally, I think using global, `special' variables for this
kind of options is not a bad thing.  Yes, global variables have a bad
reputation, but with namespaces, dynamic-wind, and fluids they should
be really useful and robust.

I don't remember why we didn't use global state for the print-chain.
Hmm.  I'll look into the archives.