Re: String representation proposal

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Implementation of shared substrings with fresh-copy semantics

I think this is very nice!

> * If small substrings are frequently generated from large, temporary
>   strings and the small substrings are kept in a data structure, the
>   heap will still have to host the large original strings.  Should we
>   simply accept this?

I think we can accept this, but should document this behaviour for the
user and provide for some means to work around it, like a function
`make-unshared' that will explicitely copy a string, even when it is
not changed.  The user has than full control over which strings are
shared, if that is needed.