Re: Octave and Guile?

On 14-Sep-2000, Jim Blandy <jimb@savonarola.red-bean.com> wrote:

| > Octave would also likely receive a facelift to remove bad features
| > (Matlab compatibility would not be a significant goal) and to focus
| > the language on numerical capabilities only.
|
| If Matlab still has a significant user base, I suspect you may want to
| keep Matlab compatibility.  Implementing Matlab as a Guile translator
| seems like a natural solution.

I think that there should probably be two different parsers.  One for
a cleaned up Octave language that I would actually not mind using, and
another for full Matlab compatibility.  Octave has tried to do both
using the same parser and run-time library and it has turned out to
not work so well.  The issue of compatibility is probably the number
one thing that is pushing me to look for other alternatives to the way
things are currently implemented.

I would not want to maintain the fully Matlab compatible parser
myself, but someone else could start with the Octave parser (the
current one, which would be more compatible than the future version
that I am thinking about) and implement a more fully compatible Matlab
translator for guile.

jwe