Re: Scheme profiling

Keisuke Nishida <kxn30@po.cwru.edu> writes:

 > hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:
 >
 > >  > Yes, I want to measure more precise time, too.  How could I do
 > >  > that?  What is an interrupt-driven profiler?
 > >
 > > He means like gcc -p & prof - The code gets regularly interrupted,
 > > inspected & continues.
 >
 > So do we need to recompile Guile with an option to enable profiling?
 > I don't think that's a very good idea... though it might be good to
 > optionally support it.

I didn't mean "like gcc -p & prof" in the sense of recompiling to
enable profiling.  I meant in the sense of how compiling with
profiling enabled works - namely by regularly interrupting the
application & inspecting the stack.

But, now that I think about it, since we're talking about an
interpreter, and can have hooks into the the evaluator, which can
record sys time, user time, and anything else we want to record at
function start & finish, I don't see why one would want to go to have
"interrupt & check" profiling.

On the other hand, I guess for a guile application that has a lot of C
code, it'd be nice to have "interrupt & check" profiling of the actual
C code.  Then you could see which C functions your app is spending its
time in, as in the evaluator, or the Guile C fcns implementing Scheme
primitives or the C code of the application itself.

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP