Re: A font size patch for large screens.

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, James Ingham wrote:

> Moses,

A buddy of mine has a PowerBook, those are sweet machines. Only problem
is they get to hot for my lap (yee-ouch).

> Ooh...  You have a nice laptop!  Mine can only do 1024x768 (though it
> is a PowerBook, so it's ravishingly beautiful...)

Yeah, font sizes are always a pain. A size of 16 looks great on my
Linux box but is it flat out wrong on other systems. As long as
the default is "close", thats all I care about. The current default
of 9 is unreadable on my system.

> Thanks for the patch.  The idea is great, but I don't think the
> algorithm is quite right, however.  I think the laptop case is an
> extreme example of many pixels + small physical size.  I have a Sun
> display at 1280x1024, and 16 is way too big a font for the default.
> 14 is okay, though a bit on the biggish side, 11 is really pretty
> good, though 9 is definately too small.

Change away. I would love to test out any new algo.

later
mo