Re: Mingw32

James Ingham <jingham@cygnus.com> writes:

> Gdb uses a whole bunch of Cygwin functionality to do its job on
> Windows, and there are currently no plans to rewrite these sections to
> call directly into the Windows API.  That would be a pretty big job,
> with no clear payoff.  So, no, a Mingw32 version of Insight is not
> likely to happen.

Actually, I've had a mingw port for a few years now. It requires a few
simple changes to gdb (win32-nat.c and the config files). The problem
is readline -- the older version had a "minimal" mode, but not available
anymore, and I have to essentially use a older version of readline to
get the job done. For mingw diffs to gdb-4.1[78], see:

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/ports/

I haven't had the time to write up ChangeLog entries, but it's pretty
self-explanatory. When I get some time, I'll clean up the patches and
submit (and there's the assignment issue I keep on forgetting about).

Unless the internals of gdb in insight is quite different and somehow
uses other Cygwin functionality, it should work.  Of course, lots of
mingw-specific tcl/tk changes are probably not in the Cygnus tree,
so that may involve some work.

Regards,
Mumit