Re: Power PC Application

James Ingham wrote:

> Brendan,
>
>  > William Blum wrote:
>  >
>  > > We are working on a Motorola MPC860 Power PC project and want to use
>  > > Insight as the debug platform.  The target PPC is a 'bare' system.  We
>  > > plan to access the target using Macraigor 'Wiggler' or 'Blackbird' On
>  > > Chip Debug" (OCD) devices.  We have the PPC cross-toolchain, based on
>  > > egcs, in place and functional.  Can you tell us how we can go about
>  > > applying Insight for use in such an environment?
>
>  > This was the very first release of Insight so I put it down to it's
>  > imaturity.  Apart from being buggy, the GUI was not settup for remote
>  > downloads to embedded systems.
>
> This is not entirely true.  Insight is not currently set up for use with
> the wiggler target.  It IS set up to do normal gdb remote protocol
> stuff.  It is also setup to do some other kinds of DLL based remote
> debugging.
>
> It would be pretty straight-forward to add support for the BDM to
> Insight, and I will be happy to help anyone who wants to do so get
> started.

 Ok, how to enable both the serial ('target ocd com2') and the Wiggler i/f
in the OCD/Wiggler entry in 'gdbtcl/targetselection.itb' ?

 I made the following addition, but don't fully understand the parsing:

  # OCD/Wiggler
  set gdb_target(ocd,pretty-name) "OCD/Wiggler"
  set gdb_target(ocd,defbaud) ""
  set gdb_target(ocd,baud-rates) {}
  set gdb_target(ocd,cmd) "ocd wiggler lpt1"
  set gdb_target(ocd,runlist) {1 1 0 1}
  set gdb_target(ocd,after_attaching) {}

 I understand that the 'com1' and 'tcpX' will be replaced with the right stuff,
but how to enable the selection list for 'lpt1', 'lpt2' and 'lpt3'?

  # TARGET,cmd: Abstracted command to run for this target (tcpX and com1 are
  #		replaced with the real port and host/port in set_target)

 For the 'ocd wiggler' I first tried a 'ocdwiggler', leaving the 'ocd' for
the serial case, but it didn't work... So the entry was left as it is shown.

>  > The only way to target the wiggler BDM was to go to the gdb command prompt
>  > and type the usual setup stuff (eg. "ocd wiggler lpt").

 An updated 'targetselection.itb', and of course a prebuilt Insight for ppc-eabi,
but for the native Mingw32-host, is downloadable via:

  www.saunalahti.fi/~ankosk2/embtools.htm

 There are quite many 'targets' added, not only the 'ocd' one, and the script
is inside the 'h83fix2.zip' (the second fix package for the gcc-2.95.1 H8/300-
release).

>  > You will need a startup script to initialise the 860 registers and memory map etc.
>  > One day I'll get around to looking at Insight again.

  # TARGET,after_attaching: a command to run after attaching to the target

 Filling the space between the braces with the script name, in the last row in the
previously shown entry, would perhaps automatize this...

Cheers, Kai