Re: Problems with Insigt and cygwin1.dll

Keith Seitz wrote:

> Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> >
> > I have also the unresolved problem with crash of another program in
> > _size_of_stack_reserve__ (). So I can help with the fact that this
> > function you can find in ld.exe. But also I have to repeat your
> > (maybe not expressed) question how to debug into the .dll? Can
> > anybody at least say that it's not possible?
>
> I don't know about your specific problems, but as far as  debugging the
> cygwin DLL goes, that is certainly possible: I've done it many, many
> times. There are really no special techniques for doing this. Just make
> sure that the DLL and newlib were compiled with debug info and that you
> use the "dir" command to add the source paths for these modules to gdb's
> list. You should be able to step into newlib, which then gets you into
> the DLL.

OK, folks.  This is a known problem.  You will find that the program
dies while in a call to select(), in the cygwin1.dll library.

I have a cygwin1.dll that I built with some changes that operates better
and only presents problems under some unusual circumstances.  I can put
it in our ftp site so you can download it.

But if you can spare some time and try to debug it I think everybody
would appreciate.  I won't be able to get to this for quite a while and
other people don't have the right hardware to reproduce it.  If you do,
building cygwin with debugger symbols is a must.  Please send me
questions if you need more information as you go.

Please note that this problem only happens with the select() simulation
under cygwin.  You can debug your programs through the serial port on
Linux and Solaris (which have a native select() in the OS) with no
problems at all.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat, Inc. - Toronto                 E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com