Re: Problems with Insigt and cygwin1.dll

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 02:21:53PM +0000, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>Keith Seitz wrote:
>> Pavel Kudrna wrote:
>> > I have also the unresolved problem with crash of another program in
>> > _size_of_stack_reserve__ (). So I can help with the fact that this
>> > function you can find in ld.exe. But also I have to repeat your
>> > (maybe not expressed) question how to debug into the .dll? Can
>> > anybody at least say that it's not possible?
>>
>> I don't know about your specific problems, but as far as  debugging the
>> cygwin DLL goes, that is certainly possible: I've done it many, many
>> times. There are really no special techniques for doing this. Just make
>> sure that the DLL and newlib were compiled with debug info and that you
>> use the "dir" command to add the source paths for these modules to gdb's
>> list. You should be able to step into newlib, which then gets you into
>> the DLL.
>>

>OK, folks.  This is a known problem.  You will find that the program
>dies while in a call to select(), in the cygwin1.dll library.

It is premature to say that this is a "known problem" until we can see
where in gdb/cygwin the problem is occurring.

Until we get verification of that fact, I would still like to see debugging
information and would urge people not to download non-standard versions of
tye cygwin DLL.  I have enough headaches with the snapshots that we provide
without having to worry about YA variant offshoot.

cgf