non-display of assembly

Today, for a change, I'm debugging library code.  I'm trying to figure
out why a particular call to memmove() is failing.  Thinking that the
compiler might be inlining memmove(), I want to put the source window
into assembly mode.

This doesn't work.  The mouse pointer, when over the source window, is
a watch.  The source window itself is blank.  I don't get any sort of
error message.

Trying to switch the view back to source does not work.

I didn't try the "tk whatever" trick to reset it.

Any clues why this might happen?  The `disas' command works in the
console, but of course I'd rather not use that.

Tom