Re: Insight on Windows NT w/cygwin

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:33:32PM -0700, Syd Polk wrote:

>> >could someone discuss the pros and cons of using a fully cygwin-aware
>> >version of tcl/tk?  seems to me that's what most people using insight on
>> >cygwin would want anyway
>> >
>> >I just know that after using a native build of XEmacs for some time, I was
>> >much happier when I started using a cygwin build - seems it would be
>> >similar with insight
>>
>>Pro: insight would be able to use all UNIX-like features of Cygwin.
>>
>>Con: Somebody has to do it.
>
>Other con: People using Insight for native Windows development could get
>confused.

We've tried to minimize incompatibilities with recent cygwin DLLs such
that a path which contains a colon or backslash is assumed to be a pure
Windows path and is untouched by the cygwin path-handling code.

This was because we'd had some complaints from people who didn't care
about cygwin and just wanted to compile and debug their programs using
standard Windows pathnames.  This seemed like a good compromise, although
gdb in general doesn't really like to use \ as a path separator.

Of course, now we are seeing complaints in the cygwin mailing list
from people who had routinely done things like

#include "myincludedir\\bob.h"

and are concerned that they can no longer find bob.h...

cgf