Re: Hi,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 01:26:41PM -0700, Jim Ingham wrote:
>Yeah, I don't like this at all.  I always thought that the flashing console
>thingie was truely lame,. and made Insight look really bad. IIRC, the only
>reason that we didn't build with -subsystem-windows (sic), and thus
>eliminate this particular wart was that in the bad ole days the only way to
>run the gdb testsuite on Windows was to telnet in and use expect, and that
>required -subsystem-console.  Now that you can run the testsuite on Windows
>successfully, there is no good reason for this.

I believe that if you use -subsystem=windows then 'gdb -nw' wouldn't
work.  Wasn't that the case?  I guess I should just check this.

I hate that flashing console window, too.  I spent some time trying to
get get rid of it a copule of years ago but it seemed like Microsoft had
gone out of their way to make it difficult to do anything at all
sophisticated with console windows.  The flashing console window was the
best available compromise.

>> We were discussing trapping startup errors and displaying them in
>> a pop-up window but I don't think there is any simple mechanism for
>> doing that.
>
>Yeah, I was hoping that you could do something really simple like register a
>readable file-event for stderr, and respond to output there, but it looks
>like Tcl doesn't open stderr readable, and I have no idea what havoc doing
>this would wreak...  OTOH, things like the TkCon extension are able to
>redirect all the standard channels into a text widget, all from Tcl.  It
>might be a good idea to have a look at what TkCon does, and just copy that
>early on in the startup process...

I think that Keith suggested something similar.  I've Cc'ed him.

cgf