Re: Performance question

Paul_Heijman@eu.omron.com wrote:

> hi there,
>
> when I'm debugging with Insight and if I want to look at a certain structure or
> array, it seems like if GDB (or Insight) retrieves each array element from the
> target SEPERATELY. It looks like GDB (or Insight) inserts a delay of approx. 3/4
> second between each element it receives. This makes watching these kinds of
> structs very slow. For instance, an array of 10 integers takes GDB almost 8
> seconds.
>
> Can someone confirm GDB puts in a explicit delay? And, if so, is there a way to
> shorten this?

I've never noticed such a thing. You might try turning on a remote log
file and seeing what is happening (turn it on before "opening" the array
but AFTER you're attached and running). See "help set remotelogfile". If
you keep the console window open, are there any messages attached?

I cannot imagine that this has anything to do with Insight proper, since
one of the testcases I used included linked lists with >512 element
arrays, and I could still step through these on a native machine without
any noticeable degradation of speed. But, GUIs are very complex, and
anything is possible. :-O

(Can you remind me, what does "gdb -v" or "show version" show again?)