Re: RFC: Save the last target that the user has connected to?

Keith Seitz wrote:

> Fernando Nasser wrote:
> >
> > Someone is arguing with me that we should save which target the user has
> > connected to last, so when he launches insight again he does not have to go
> > through the target dialog.
> >
> > In case you haven't notice, all the settings for a certain target are remember,
> > the only thing we "forget" is which of the targets we last connected to.
> >
> > Any reason not to do that?  Can I make this change to make this person happy?
> >
> > Thanks for any comments/advice.
>
> I think that something like this would probably be okay... Actually, I
> thought that it should be doing this already; the difference, though, is
> that IMO Insight should ALWAYS ask for a target on the first run of a
> session, even if it just means hitting "OK" or return.
>
> In many of the places I have been and on many of the projects I've
> worked on, I would frequently switch the debugger from target A to
> target B.
>
> Perhaps we can strike a compromise? By default, don't ask (unless target
> is unknown) and use the last target. A preference, though, could be set
> to make insight ask every (first) time...

Yes, this second option sounds nice.  Some option on the line:
[ ] Show this dialog at beginning of the session

> Or perhaps we can do as Duane suggests: writing out a "project"
> preferences file with this info. I know we discussed doing this several
> times, but we never did. This would seem like a good reason to move
> toward this ideal...

Sure, I agree.  The "project" preference is a very good idea.  We should at least
add it to the TODO list.  Someone may eventually volunteer to do that.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com