Re: wish list

Shaun Jackman wrote:

> Insight's a great GUI for a spectacular debugger. However, there are a few
> features I'd love to see implemented.
> None of these are mission critical, just would-be-nices if the developpers
> had some time on their hands. (you don't have anything better to do, right?)
> ; )

Well, it's a start at least. O:-)

> "Set PC to here" from source windows
>   when a source (or assembler) line is right clicked, give this option
>   this has been discusses recently and may even be in more recent snapshots
>   If compiling with anything more than -O0 I say the user is taking his life
> into his own hands, and knows it.

Yes, I believe that Fernando threw this in recently.

> "Recenter source window on PC" button
>   finds the current PC, and displays the source around it

Ummm. Doesn't clicking the "bottom of stack" button do this already?

> mixed view scope
>   provide an option to display the whole file, not just the current function
>   or, display a particular function, not just the one the PC's in

We'd love to do this, but it's nearly impossible for gdb to disassemble
a file (don't ask why).

> mixed view colors
>   make the text-color of source a different color from the assembler

DAMN! It used to do this -- that's why there is a preference for this!

> remember target settings in a .funkylinuxconfig file
>   although beautiful, I never want to see the "target options" dialog box
> again.    ; )

Yeah, someone was talking about a "per project" config file... Dunno
what happened to it, though.

> reload button
>   if the executable file changes (due to recompiling) a File::Open is
> necessary otherwise Insight displays
>   "Source file is dated newer than executable" (or something of the ilk).
> need a button to reload the executable file

Don't even get me started. I've spent about 15 hours trying to get this
to work properly. I have some patches which will help, but they're still
not perfect. In the short run, the problem is that you've changed the
source file and the exe, but Insight sees that you changed the source
file BEFORE it knows that you've loaded a new exe. Unfortunately, I've
had my priorities "readjusted", and this "project" is now on the back
burner. :-(

You should simply just have to press "Run" again and everything should
happen automatically. Sigh.

Otherwise, some really good ideas here. I'm sure Fernando will save your
message off and put them into a TODO or something.