Re: Insight freezes when trying to debug Mozilla

bstell@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Fernando Nasser wrote:
> >
> > This mechanism for starting-up gdb from Mozilla was created by someone in there.
> > We don't know anything about it.  And whoever has created such connection must
> > have some experience in debugging Mozilla with gdb.
>
> There is a shell scrip that starts gdb debugging mozilla.
> I use this script to run gdb (non-insight) on mozilla all the time and
> it work fine.

Cool!

> > ....  Unfortunately the STOP button
> > is dead because the Linux thread code fails to keep the GUI alive (a bug in that code,
> > at least for Insight purposes -- I will tell people on the gdb list about this).
>
> This is the part I care about. Thanks.

You're welcome.

> > If you know of some other point in the Mozzila code that will be certainly executed,
> > try inserting a breakpoint there before saying continue.  See if the GUI regains control
> > when that breakpoint is reached.
>
> I have tested this and it does work.

OK, so the "not keeping the GUI alive" is the problem.

> > > Line 766 of lin-lwp.c is calling sigsuspend().
>
> I replaced the sigsuspend() call with a "sleep(1)" but this also never
> returns.

That won't do it.  I will ask the Linux threads maintainer to add a call to the GUI
event loop.

Thanks for letting us know that this was broken.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd.                     E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com