Re: Source Window - pop-up over array elements

Larry Smith wrote:

> Larry Smith wrote:
>
> > The problem is that one doesn't "highlight" - one "clicks
> > on" - and it's up to gdbtk's tcl code to scan back and
> > forth and figure out what variable it is looking at.
>
> > This is done in srctextwin.itb in the GetVariable method.  It
> > just uses a regular expression scan out a string consisting
> > of upper and lower case letters, digits, and any of "_", "-",
> > "." and (I wonder about this) ">".  It can't actually parse
> > the source code and pull out a genuine variable complete with
> > specifiers, array selections, and the like.  This is basically
> > the same deal as with comments which we discussed earlier,
> > to gdbtk, this is just text, and it doesn't know C, Fortran,
> > Ada, Pascal, Java, or whatever...
>
> I haven't gotten any responses pro or con except from
> Tom, aside from Syd's comment not to special-case anything.
> Absent any more feedback, I'm going to close/reject this
> at COB today.

IMO, the correct behavior is the current one.  If we add the array to the
Watch Window, the language specific code in there will make sure the user
can access whichever elements he/she wants.  It may have been the opinion
of the author as well.

I would close it with as "expected behavior".

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com