Re: <Ctrl-C> in the Console Window

Fernando Nasser wrote:

> John wrote:
> >
> > What is the copy key under windows going to be?
> >

> That is a good point, but I would be surprised if it ever worked
> on the console window on NT anyway.
>
> What would be more important: simulate the real gdb console and accept
> <Ctrl-C> as interrupt or allow cut-and-paste with the Windows standard keys?
>
> We can also add cut-and-paste based on selection and a right click menu
> with Copy/Paste on it (I would not have Cut).
>
> Well, it is open to debate.

Ugh. I don't think that we should override the default behavior of the
window manager like this... Something about using "^C" to mean "stop"
instead of the usual "copy" makes me nervous. Originally, I intended to
use the escape key in Insight as a generic "stop whatever you're doing".
I've already snuck it in at a few places. For example, if you
double-click a variable for editing in the var windows, hitting escape
will cancel the edit. I believe we have the same thing in the Memory and
Register windows.

This is a can of worms, really. I think that no matter what happens,
someone is going to dislike the decision. Since I'm the appeasing type
(stop laughing, JimI!), I would probably default ^C to "cut" and add a
preference for making it "stop" (in the console window). This is even
uglier, though, 'cause I think that we use ^C in the source window to
mean "copy". If we change it to "stop", we would have the same key bound
to two completely different functions.

Yich. I'm dizzy. Perhaps we've learned just one thing from this:
whatever you decide to do, make sure that it is consistent.

:-)