Re: Lets rename insight to "insight" (imagine that)

mdejong@cygnus.com (Mo DeJong) writes:
> What is the cause of these problems? The unfortunate
> naming of the Insight executable. For some reason
> it is called "gdb". This is in despite of the fact
> that it is clearly not the gdb that most people
> expect to get when typing the command "gdb".
>
> I suggest we change the name of the Insight executable
> to "insight". This will make things far more intuitive
> and will save us time and money in the long run.
>
> I would also like to get Insight installed on the
> default Red Hat release, but that is not currently
> possible because /usr/bin/gdb is already taken.

What is /usr/bin/gdb taken by, if not gdb?  and, insight without
windows _is_ gdb, with some extra mostly-unused stuff thrown in, eh?

Well, it seems to me that by default, you want to install
(gdb==insight), under the names gdb and insight, with the former
providing the normal behaviour, and the latter providing windows.

It's a shame to have to waste N more megabytes on a gdb binary, when
insight will do either.

My personal favorite solution (and what I use in my own source trees)
is to:

	* whack top.c so that use_windows = 0 by default.

	* install as gdb.

	* if insight-style windowing support is present, a simple
	script called 'insight' to invoke gdb with the -w flag and the
	rest of the remaining script arguments.

I think, in general, that's probably the appropriate solution to the
issue.

cgd