Re: insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk

On 18 Jan, Syd Polk wrote:
> Scott Bean wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After downloading both tarballs (gdb-5.0 and insight -5.0) from
>> 'ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/releases/', I realized that I only
>> needed to download the insight tarball.  Unfortunately the README on
>> that ftp site does not mention that at all!
>>
>> Now my question is how do I make/install the insight-only part of the
>> insight tarball?  My main concern is that I already have tcl/tk 8.3
>> installed and do not want it to get stepped on by the tcl/tk 8.1(?) that
>> is part of the insight tarball.  Documentation was very light in this
>> tarball, so I am really unsure about the build process.  Is it smart
>> enough not to rebuild existing items via the configure command or the
>> makefiles?
>>
>> Appreciate your help on this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>
> The tcl version that gets built with insight should not conflict with
> your Tcl version. Insight requires a custom version of tcl/tk at this
> time, so it does not work with Tcl/Tk 8.3.

One thing I've found, though, is that you better install insight in its own
subdirectory, otherwise, when you do a "make install", you will overwrite
the tcl.h and tk.h that are already installed.

One of the things I really would like to see is a minimal install where only
the files *required* by insight are installed. That means, don't install any
of the Tcl/Itcl/Tk/Tix/... man pages, don't install any of the lib*.a files,
don't instal any .h files.

As soon as I've *really* had it, I'll submit patches. :-)

MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED --> UPDATE YOUR ADDRESSBOOK

Laurent Duperval                   "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
Netergy Networks - Java Center            and we who are here have failed it."
Phone: (514) 282-8484 ext. 228                                   -Doug Camilli
mailto:laurent.duperval@netergynet.com           Penguin Power!