Restoring breakpoint failed

I saved a session that included a breakpoint with attached commands.
When restoring the session, I got the appended error.

I'm pretty sure I tested this functionality when I wrote it, but to be
honest it is so long ago that it is hard to be certain.  Did something
change in `gdb_cmd' to make multi-line commands no longer work?
If so, how can breakpoint command restoration work?

FWIW for me it is very important that sessions work well.
They are the only feature that reliably separates Insight from using
gdb in Emacs (variable display would be another one, but I've learned
not to use that due to its propensity to provoke gdb crashes).

Tom

Unexpected extra arguments following breakpoint number.

    while executing
"gdb_cmd "commands \$bpnum\n[join $commands \n]""
    (procedure "SESSION_recreate_bps" line 21)
    invoked from within
"SESSION_recreate_bps $values(breakpoints)"
    (procedure "session_load" line 33)
    invoked from within
"session_load /x1/egcs/build/gcc/jc1"
    invoked from within
".srcwin0.#srcwin0#srcwin#container#pane0#childsite#con#menubar#m.#srcwin0#srcwin#container#pane0#childsite#con#menubar#m#file invoke active"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke active]"
    (procedure "tkMenuInvoke" line 29)
    invoked from within
"tkMenuInvoke .srcwin0.#srcwin0#srcwin#container#pane0#childsite#con#menubar#m.#srcwin0#srcwin#container#pane0#childsite#con#menubar#m#file 1"
    (command bound to event)errorCode is NONE