Re: Problems building TCL for insight on cygwin & win2k

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Andy Hare wrote:

> I have been trying to build insight under cygwin on a windows 2k box. The
> source was obtained from the cvs server last night. The build fails whilst
> building TCL. The configure line and make line are given below :
>
>  cd /build/arm ; \
>  rm -r * ; \
>  CC="gcc -mwin32" /GNU-Source-Code/src/configure -v \
>    --prefix=/xgcc-arm/gnu \
>    --exec-prefix=/xgcc-arm/gnu \
>    --with-headers=/Gnu-Source-Code/src/newlib/libc/include \
>    --host=i586-cygwin32 --target=arm-elf >$(HOME)/configure.out 2>&1

Hmmm. What version of cygwin are you using? (uname -a) Right now, you can
ONLY use a current net release of cygwin to build the public repository.
(This should be the case for everyone except Red Hat GNUPro customers.)

I know I just built this thing yesterday without incident.

I'm updating my sources now, just in case, but I can see some obvious
differences between the way you have configured your toolchain and the way
I do it. Of course, this may not be the problem, but who knows? It's
worked once this week already. ;-)

Actually, I'm gonna say almost the same thing that I told the last person
with configure problems. When configuring, either specify "--target" alone
OR specify "--target", "--host", and "--build". Never use just two of
them. This is empirical only. YMMV.

I think that if you did this, your problem would go away. I don't think
that "i586-cygwin32" is the appropriate host triple nowadays. I use
"i686-pc-cgywin".

I also never use the 'CC="gcc -mwin32"' thing. I know this was needed some
time in the past, but I've never needed it at all in the last few months.

Finally, the last thing that causes me some concern.. Why do you need to
use "--with-headers"? I've never used that before except when doing a
cross build for another OS.

So, try using:

  /GNU-Source-Code/src/configure -v \
    --prefix=/xgcc-arm/gnu \
    --exec-prefix=/xgcc-arm/gnu \
    --target=arm-elf >$(HOME)/configure.out 2>&1

Let us know if it helps.

> I hope you can help as I have been trying to get insight built for the last
> week.

You should have spoken up sooner...