Re: [RFA] Change Windows menu font.

On Monday, February 25, 2002, at 04:37 , Keith Seitz wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Ian Roxborough wrote:
>
>> +
>> +    # The menu font used to be set via the "windows-menu"
>> +    # font family, however this seems to have been deprecated
>> +    # for Tcl/Tk version 8.3, so we hard code it instead.
>> +    define_font global/menu -family {MS Sans Serif} -size 8
>
> For the record, there were several fonts that Ian Lance Taylor added to
> our copy of Tk8.0 which propagated the Window's Display Control Panel
> settings for fonts. These were called "windows-menu", "windows-status",
> and a few others.
>
> If you run Insight 5.1 and use the Display Control Panel to alter the
> menu
> font for your desktop, Insight will change. CVS, however, will not,
> since
> scriptics did not do anything with Ian's patches. As a result, using the
> Display Control Panel to alter fonts will do nothing.
>
> I wish scriptics hadn't dropped the ball on this, since it really
> makes a
> huge difference for the user...

I was the developer of Windows Font Menu stuff and one of the people in
the Font system itself. We had plans for this while Tcl/Tk was at Sun. I
left to go to Cygnus, and nobody else picked up the ball and ran with
it. Then Scriptics spun off and spent most of their time doing something
other than Tk. Then Scriptics was bought by Interwoven, and, well....

> Keith

Syd Polk
jazzman@bayarea.net                 http://www.bayarea.net/~jazzman
"Let the music be your light." -- Dave Edwards, KUHF-FM, 1982