shared libraries problem building insight

I am trying to get gdb/insight 5.1.1 to build using shared libraries,
notably the already installed tk/tcl. Below is the report I tried to submit
via the bug tracking system (but that gave me an error). I'd be grateful for
any hints as to what I do wrong.

--

In the default build (modified to use -O2 and not -g), gdb/insight is huge,
and installs a considerable number of static libraries (that itself was

Also, the make terminates because
ranlib libitk3.0.so
ranlib: libitk3.0.so: File format not recognized
(running it again succesfully completes the build).

Repeat:
configure --enable-shared
# edit all Makefiles to change '-g' or '-g -O' into '-O2'
make
# after the ranlib error
make

ls -l gdb/gdb