Re: [Patch] Fixup tcl and expect build under Cygwin

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Mo DeJong wrote:

> Is there some other list that this patch should be submitted to?

All the big expect users: binutils, gcc, gdb.

> That -e flag is kind of interesting because it was to work around a bug
> in gcc. When both a WinMain() and a main() are found gcc incorrectly
> picks main() as the entry point even though -mwindows is passed. If this
> problem no longer exists in Cygwin gcc then the -e could be removed. I
> know it is required to build with Mingw 2.95.2, but I don't know about
> later releases. If this problem does exist, it manifests itself as a
> wish.exe that pops up the . window but no console.

Odd. When I build with this, wish just crashes. When I remove it, wish
appears. I think I ifdef'd out main() in my local sources (, which I
really need to check in!)

> It should break down when building Itcl under Windows. I have no idea
> why you would not run into this problem aside from something obvious
> like using an older config.cache that had tcl/win/tclConfig.sh cached.
> You might try looking at the output of configure when the Itcl configure
> is being run to see if it detects the config file in tcl/unix or
> tcl/win.

Maybe I already fixed this (the same way you did) in my local tree! :-)

> > I'll definitely approve the unix/tclConfig.sh thing, though. I never
> > understood why that was done.
>
> As far as I can tell, it was to avoid an error configuring expect. The
> expect patch fixes that problem so I can't see any reason not to apply
> the patch.

Ok, cool. Well, at least apply your two tcl changes. Good luck on the
expect patch. I guess if cgf is around, he would have definitive say on
it. (It is, after all, a pretty simple change.)