ARM debugging via JTAG?

Hi everybody,

i have an Atmel ARM evaluation board with an ARM7TDMI (AT91M40400).
I can download/debug programs with the Angel Debug Monitor in the boards
flash memory.  This is amazingly slow, because the serial line for
the debug connection is working with 9600 baud.

The board also has a 20 pin JTAG connection that can be used for
debugging.  I know of some debuggers that support GDB over Ethernet
and can debug this micro.  These debuggers are quite expensive.

I once started to write some very basic code to send commands to
the ARM from the parallel port to the JTAG interface of that micro,
but didn't yet get very far.

Does anybody know of patches for GDB that enable ARM debugging
via JTAG over the parallel port?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.