Re: Remote debug using Insight

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Masahide Tomita wrote:

> I am quite new here in this ML, and in using Insight(gdb too.).

Welcome.

> My question is: How do I use Insight to debug program running on remote
> host?

Ok, there are a bunch of questions to which you must know the answer in
order to debug a remote target:

What's the communications protocol?
This is the actual hardware communications between the host (running
gdb/insight) and the target. Is it a serial connection? Ethernet? JTAG?
For serial, you'll need to know what serial port the target is attached to
and the baud rate. For ethernet, you'll need a hostname/IP address and
port number. If you're using a JTAG box, you'll obviously need to know
these parameters for the interface, not for the board proper, since GDB
will be talking to the JTAG interface.

What's the debug protocol?
This could be the tougher one. GDB understands how to talk a bunch of
different debug protocols, its own "remote" protocol, many monitors, a
couple of JTAG, etc.

On this one, I don't know how to help you out. You're going to have to
find out what the board uses (if anything). Maybe you'll need to get a GDB
debug stub/agent on the board? I don't know. You might ask on
gdb@sources.redhat.com about your particular hardware if web searches
don't turn anything up.

Anyway, once you have this information, you can use the File->Target
Settings... dialog to specify these things.