Re: Windows GUI to GDB on Mac OS X

Susan,

Well, there is Project Builder, which is (at least the Debugger part) just a GUI debugger running on top of gdb. It's free, and comes on the Developer tools CD...

Anyway, if you want Insight in particular, that will take some work. It probably wouldn't be all that hard to get an X11 version of Insight to build (Fink makes installing the X11 bits pretty easy). The Apple gdb repository is (with the exception of lots of local source mods) very close to the FSF structure. There are a couple of the local mods that are likely to cause trouble, however. We added a switchable interpreter model at Apple, which Keith merged back for us, but we haven't picked up the merged version (it actually hasn't been committed to the FSF tree yet.) That is likely to cause some problems. Also, we changed the varobj code to handle some of the other requirements that PB had. But I haven't done any work yet to make sure Insight continues to work, so it is likely these will cause Insight heartburn... But a bold and intrepid hacker could probably get something working without breaking too much of a sweat.

The other option is DDD, which might work on the gdb that ships with the Developer tools. We don't use the annotations at all, so we didn't change them. Emacs' gud mode works fine with our gdb, so maybe DDD will. Again, you will have to build the X11 version of this, though Fink may have a built one available already.

Jim