Re: [toplevel patch] delete references to tix

On Mar 10, 2003, Nathanael Nerode <neroden at twcny dot rr dot com> wrote:

> Insight ripped tix out of CVS.  Time to get rid of it I think.

Maybe it's a bit too early?  Consider that someone might create a
unified tree out of the latest stable releases of the tools, as
described in the CrossGCC FAQ IIRC, and then, if it turns out that the
insight release still uses tix, but the toplevel no longer does, we
lose.

I fail to see the point of removing stuff from the top-level just
because it appears to be unused.  The top-level tree is not just for
the tools, it was originally meant as a way to enable one to build a
number of projects in a single step.  Now it fails badly at that,
thanks to your `clean-ups' to ease the autoconfiscation.  Removing a
number of those projects has given us no benefit whatsoever, and
actually made the top-level less useful than it was.  I'm sure it
wouldn't have been that hard to keep a few additional host_modules,
even if they didn't appear to be used any more.

I wish you were *far* more conservative when considering whether to
remove something from the tree.  It's not like it's hard to put stuff
back in, but then we'll be going in circles.

Please defer the installation of this patch until a stable release of
gdb/insight is out there that no longer uses tix.  Ok to install 1-2
weeks afterwards.

Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva at {redhat dot com, gcc.gnu.org}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva at {lsd dot ic dot unicamp dot br, gnu.org}