Re: Problem with Insight GUI mode

Posted to list. Read below for response.

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 19:20, Peter Reilley wrote:
> The problem seems to the interaction between the .gdbinit file
> and the .gdbtkinit file.   I often need commands to be issued
> after the "target remote localhost:XXXX" command and the
> "load" command.   In non-GUI mode this all works quite nicely.
> If I use the .gdbinit file to connect to the remote and to issue
> some additional commands and then the "load" command, Insight
> gets into the mode where the RUN button is only highlighted.
>
> One particular annoyance is that I need the command;
>
> set remote memory-write-packet-size 1024
> set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed
>
> When Insight executes these commands in my .gdbinit file it
> pops up a window asking if I really want the packet size changed.
> If I did not want it changed I would not have put it in my .gdbinit
> file!
>
> I can almost always get to the point where the GUI works properly.
> Often this requires that I issue commands in the console window.
> I don't seem to be able to have Insight come up, set the breakpoint
> at main, run to main and stop.
>
> Everything works perfectly in non-GUI mode.
>
> Pete.

I could see that gdb would mess up the whole "set remote ..." thing. If
there's a warning in the code, then the GUI is going to display it.
There may be a way to fix this. In remote.c, I see that when you set
this option, it calls the function query. Somehow GDB is supressing this
when starting up. If we find out how, Insight could be made to ignore
this, too.

Otherwise, as for fixing your other problems, I haven't heard anything
about whether "tk gdbtk_update" fixes the button problem. If it does,
you can add something like "tk after idle gdbtk_update" to your
.gdbinit. It'll error on non-Insight runs, though...

Keith